Saturday, June 30, 2007

Tampa Bay Fans Among League's Best

50 yardI've covered the New York Dragons, New Jersey Gladiators, New England Sea Wolves, New Haven Ninjas (af2) and Mohegan Wolves (af2) over my years as a freelancer. They've tried to build fan bases there, but they don't match up to those of the Tampa Bay Storm.

I was lucky enough to cover the ArenaBowl XVIII for an online outlet in 2003. The game was in Tampa, and was the last ArenaBowl played at a non-neutral site. And 21,000 + filled the St. Pete Times Forum (yes, in Tampa).

My hosts were two of the nicest people I've ever met - KC Rossman and Patrick Gunter. Both were writing and shooting for me, and were very well-connected with the team. Bring me anyone who has ever played for the Storm, and I'll guarantee they know them well, probably went to their home for dinner, went out fishing with them, etc.

They introduced me not just to the players and front office staff, but to the diehards. Unfortunately I don't remember all their names, but they were great people to talk football with, knowing every aspect of the game without coming across like know-it-alls. Some of them were regularly seen in sideline shots during televised games, so it was fun to match those fans with their 15-minutes of fame.

Last I knew there was just one fan club, the Storm Surge. And the day of their ArenaBowl win over the Arizona Rattlers, they were raising funds for sick kids. I was beyond impressed with these guys.

If the Storm wins today, I'll try to find some of my photos from then (I wasn't digital yet) and try to get someone to scan them. And if Tampa Bay wins out, and I get a chance to go to New Orleans, I'm going to need to get together with KC and Patrick.

0 comments: